Hyde United 2-3 Sports: Match Report

by Laurie Newman

Mickleover Sports move up to 6th place after defeating Hyde United thanks to a late winner from Stuart Beavon.

Lee Hughes also scored his third goal for Sports in as many games in addition to Nathan Modest scoring his first for the club since he was signed in the summer.

Sports had an early scare when Harry Bennis crossed the ball into the box at a ferocious pace. Fortunately for the away team though it was too high for anyone to latch onto and it went out for a throw.

Lee Hughes scored just after the five minute mark when Stuart Beavon crossed the ball from the far side. Hughes managed to find himself unmarked which allowed him to head the ball into the top right hand corner.

Sports seemed to be on a mission and were desperate to add another. Ben Turner nearly scored after he blasted the ball towards the goal. Unfortunately the ball flew across the face and away from the back of the net.

Around fifteen minutes in Lee Hughes landed badly on his shoulder after trying to win a header and was forced off through injury. It was a big loss at the time but ultimately his successor Nathan Modest would come up with the goods later on in the game.

The substitution would prove to be a turning point as Sports found it hard to penetrate Hyde who seized control of the game.

Tom Pratt came close after his shot with the outside of his foot curled towards the bottom right hand corner only for it to steer away from the post at the last minute.

Martyn Woolford’s acrobatic attempt also came close but in the end it flew over the bar.

Against the run of play, Mickleover nearly doubled their lead after Stuart Beavon’s shot from just inside the box fizzed across the six yard box but it agonisingly went just wide of the corner.

Sports managed to get themselves back into the game but before they could gain any more momentum the half time whistle blew.

The second half kicked off and within a minute Nathan Modest scored for the visitors. Modest scored after he poked the ball past Luke Mewitt from a few yards out following a lofted ball over Hyde’s back four.

Around ten minutes later Dan Turner managed to grab a goal back for the hosts after he blasted the ball into the roof of the net and past Nathan Broome from just inside the box.

Both teams continued to threaten the other but it would take until the 74th minute for a goal to be scored. 

Hyde’s captain Tom Pratt would equalise for his side after firing the ball just past the inside of the post meaning that at that point Sports would be going home with just a point.

Sports however, wouldn’t give up without a fight but neither would Hyde. Nathan Broome kept Sports in the game after his miraculous save to the top left hand corner denied Hyde a winner. 

Stuart Beavon would be the real hero though. With just a few minutes to go Max Watters crossed the ball in towards the box where Beavon was waiting. Somehow he chested the ball down and as if in slow motion the ball dropped down perfectly for him to shoot. The ball then curled away from the keeper and went in off the post which sent the Mickleover players, staff and fans wild.

The final whistle blew shortly after and everyone associated with Mickleover could let a sigh of relief go after a tense last few minutes.

Share & Spread The Word