Sports March On

by Peter Scherer

Mickleover’s march goes on as it now becomes 10 consecutive victories, after the 3-1 win against Spalding Utd in the FA Cup.

Starting line up: 1-James Pollard 2-Jake Bennett 3-Ryan Wilson 4-Will Atkinson 5-Fin Delap 6-Ethan Mann 7-Andy Dales 8-Ben Sault 9-Stuart Beavon 10-Marcus Barnes 11-Oliver Greaves Subs: George Nunn, Oliver Bosworth, Andre Wright, Dan Bradley, Joe Bateman.

Both sides had chances early into the game, with Clifton missing out with a header from a Warburton cross for the visitors, after a challenge from Mickleover keeper PolLard.

But 13 minutes in and it was Dales opening the scoring for Mickleover, with a long range shot into the roof of the net, with keeper Breeden well beaten, 1-0.

Clifton had another shot wide for Spalding from a Walker cross, before Breeden came to their rescue, winning out in a one on one.

Breeden made a couple more saves to keep Spalding in the game, but Pollard was also on form, saving  shot from Graham and a header from Stainos.

But Mickleover were forced to make an early change after Barnes took a knock and was replaced by Wright.

Spalding went close again before half time, after the ball came off a Sports defenders headed and glanced the bar from a Walker cross, but as the whistle went it remained 1-0.

The Mickleover defence of Bennett, Delap, Mann and Wilson had continued to look solid and dependable, with the hardworking midfield of Atkinson, Sault, Greaves and Dales continuing with the upperhand over a difficult Spalding side, but after 46 minutes Bradley came on for Bennett.

it all changed after 51 minutes when the visitors were awarded a penalty with Graham netting to make it 1-1. Only four minutes later though Mickleover restored their lead when Dales maximised a defensive mix up to make it 2-1.

Nunn then came on for two goal Dales as the hour mark approached, but after a Hilliard shot was well saved by Pollard, Beavon struck again after 71 minutes to make it 3-1.

Spalding continued to try and push forward and created a couple of openings, but another solid team effort from Mickleover proved decisive again, as we now look forward to the draw for the next round.

Share & Spread The Word