Dales Double Sinks Promotion Hopefuls

by Peter Scherer

A goal in each half from Mickleover leading scorer Andy Dales, secured all three points over promotion hopefuls Nuneaton Borough.

Starting line-up: 1-Oliver Bosworth 2-Jake Bennett 3-Ryan Wilson 5-James Butler 6-Phil Watt 7-Andy Dales 8-Mason Warren 9-Marcus Marshall 10-Oli Greaves 11-Will Trueman 15-George Atwal. Subs: Pablo Mills, Fin Ryder, Jonathan Hedge, Ethan Mann, Mitch Rose.

There was a lively start to the game with both sides homing in on goal. Nuneaton keeper Breeden had to block a Dales effort after two minutes and the visitors had chance a minute later, when Waite found Gordon in the box.

Storer fired a Nuneaton free kick straight into Bosworth’s hands after a sixth minute foul on Dinanga, before Greaves had to go off injured and was replaced by Ryder, inside the first 15 minutes.

Ryder made a positive break but was caught offside, but Mickleover continued with some strong and positive attacks.

A 17th minute corner came to nought, before Sports defence cleared a dangerous cross into the box five minutes later.

The strong breeze was having a noticeable effect and went in Mickleover’s favour, when the wind held a Trueman cross from the right, finding Dales on the far post to hammer it home 1-0.

Nuneaton continued to create their own chances, but a 35th minute shot from Dowd managed to clear the boundary fence with wind assistance.

As half time approached, Nuneaton pushed hard for an equaliser, but after Bosworth saved a 41st minute effort from Dowd, there was another clearance from the back post to make sure Sports went in for the break a goal up.

Nuneaton second half sub Luke Benbow was quick to make an impression, but his 53rd minute free kick after Waite was fouled, was blocked by the Mickleover wall.

Storer nearly broke through for the visitors too after a good build up a few minutes later, but he was intercepted on the edge of the area.

Mickleover had just subbed Rose for Marshall when Trueman broke through the visiting defence, to poke the ball beyond Breeden’s reach, making it 2-0 after 58 minutes.

Nuneaton were still fighting though and Bosworth had to palm away a McWilliams effort 64 minutes in.

Hopes of another clean sheet for Bosworth were dashed however when Dowd was fouled and a penalty awarded. Benbow stepped up and buried it in the bottom corner, making if 1-2 with 14 minutes left.

Mann came on for Atwal to tighten up the defence, but with 10 minutes on the clock Dales scored a trademark goal, cutting in from the wing into Breeden’s bottom far corner, 3-1 and his 16th goal of the season.

A good strong team performance to secure the three points against top opposition, restoring us in sixth place, with three games to play.

Share & Spread The Word