Early Goal Seals Point For Reserves

by Peter Scherer

A strong first half performance and early goal from Zac Sandhu made sure Mickleover Reserves secured a point at home to Bakewell Town on Tuesday.

Starting line-up: 1-Josh Bull 2-Mason Hoult 18-Zac Sandhu 4-Jared Cholerton 5-Will Robinson 6-Toby Smith 7-Sam Tomlinson 8-Chris Palmer 9-Fin Ryder 12-Bobby Battison 11-Mason Tudgay. Subs: Josh Powell, Josh Carter.

The fast-starting Mickleover soon had Bakewell on the back foot and after just six minutes a Sandhu overlap on the left found Ryder in the middle, and his point blank flick was well saved by the visitors keeper.

But three minutes later there was an attack on the other wing, with Sandhu on the receiving end to make it 1-0.

Mickleover continued to make the pace with Tomlinson firing in a shot from a Smith pass, only to find his effort blocked.

Hoult put a cross in from the right after 19 minutes, which was just over the bar as the keeper scrambled to cover it, then Tomlinson went on a another run until he was fouled.

The attacks were coming thick and fast with Tomlinson’s eye for goal, proving both positive and frustrating, as his efforts were blocked.

Battison, Palmer and Smith were controlling midfield, and feeding Tomlinson, Ryder and Tudgay, while both Hoult and Sandhu joined in the attacks on the wings.

The hopes of a second goal continued to elude them, but almost on the half time whistle Ryder put a shot just wide after another goal mouth scramble.

But there was one more chance in time added on, when Tomlinson crossed from left and Battison hit it on the volley. But the keeper saved well again and it remained 1-0.

Bakewell started the second half with more pace and more aggression and had an early attempt on goal blocked. Robinson and Cholerton had covered everything the visitors threw at them with ease in the first half, with Bull in the Mickleover barely tested. 

The Bakewell keeper made a save after 48 minutes from a Hoult cross, but no one came in for the rebound and a few minutes later Ryder came close from a Sandhu cross.

But as the hour mark approached another Bakewell attack broke through on the Mickleover left and James Gemmell fired it home for the equaliser 1-1.

The visitors continued to push forward and seemed to have the scent of victory, as Mickleover had periods pegged back in their own half.

Carter and Powell came on as subs, and after 76 minutes Battison tried another long shot, which bounced off the keepers chest, as Ryder just missed connecting with the rebound.

Palmer put a 77th minute free kick straight at the keeper after Battison was fouled on the edge of the box and in the final minute Cholerton and Ryder went close with their heads following a corner, leaving it at 1-1.


Share & Spread The Word