Reserves Extend Winning Streak

by Peter Scherer

Mickleover FC Reserves are now fourth in the Central Midlands League Premier South Division table and only a point from top, following their third successive win last Saturday.

With two early corners conceded by visitors Cromford & Wirksworth FC, Mickleover soon had the upperhand and following a foul on Fin Barker, Louis Pennington saw his free kick rebound off the wall.

But Pennington then sent Brandon Ferron through to cut inside, his shot was heading for goal, but a final touch from Barker made sure. 1-0.

The visitors had failed to create much in response, but a rare break was blocked by Rock, who was looking a solid pairing in the middle of defence with Ethan Mann.

Some promising and creative Mickleover play in midfield kept Sports going forward, but wasn’t creating the chances.

But after Barker was fouled again, he took the free kick which was cleared again as it came off the wall, so it remained 1-0 at half time.

It was the defenders on the attack early into the second half, when Mann found Rock, who couldn’t quite get his shot in before it was cleared.

Ferron put a couple of good crosses in, but there was no one on the end of it, then Zak Sandhu came on after Ferron took a knock, joined by Sam Harrison on for Cozens.

Sandhu’s first job was to block a Cromford shot, but the following corner wasn’t cleared and they shot just wide.

But shortly afterwards Cromford won a free kick, which wasn’t cleared, the follow up shot hit the bar, before another header breached keeper Fin Bowen’s defence and it was 1-1.

Mickleover were on the charge again though and Barker had a shot well saved by the visitors keeper. Sandhu and Harrison then combined to win another corner, with Pennington winning a free kick, which he took himself and was well held by the keeper after he breached the wall.

Sandhu hit the bar after a cross from Ronnie Bonser, before two more changes were made. Harry Atwal and Dean Ironmonger came on for Fin Ryder and Jack Leighton.

But Barker was running at the Cromford defence again and was fouled. Atwal stepped up to take the free kick and curled it past the wall into the top left-hand corner, with the keeper well beaten 2-1.

Mickleover continued to push hard but Cromford had far from given up and responded too. There was a late break too for Harrison in the final minutes, but his shot was just of target.

The Reserves are back in action again on Saturday when they visit Clay Cross in the League Cup, before their league campaign resumes with Teversal at home on October 8th.

(Information contributed by Mickleover Reserves FC Twitter)

Share & Spread The Word