Revenge For Mickleover Youngsters

by Peter Scherer

Having lost out to near neighbours Mickleover RBL in the last Central Midlands League Premier Division South game, Mickleover Reserves took revenge with a 3-2 win in the return fixture last Saturday.

Dean Ironmonger gave Mickleover the early lead from a half volley following a free kick, as Sports youngsters started with confidence 1-0. Fin Ryder then found Declan Brown, but the home keeper held the strikers shot.

Brown then picked up on a poor clearance by the RBL defence, but his shot was just wide.

But RBL were back in the game at 1-1, when a dangerous cross set up the equaliser, with Sports keeper beaten at the far post.

RBL began to look more dominant as Sports midfield started to struggle on the muddy pitch.

But Ryder set up  nice move and switched the ball to Brandon Ferron on the left, he layed it off for Jack Leighton but his shot was deflected for a corner.

Ferron again was on the end of the shot corner, but as he cut in his shot was over the bar from a tightening angle.

RBL were still looking dangerous and made a break for Sports goal, but Ferron’s pace came to the rescue, with his interception for a corner.

Sports were looking dangerous again too and when Paterson and Leighton combined on the right, Brown was sent through to chip the keeper and made it 2-1, as the half time whistle approached with confidence.

In the opening minute of the second half Leighton got clear on the right, but his cross aimed for Brown was stuck in the mud and failed to reach its target.

Brown then forced a finger tip save out of the RBL keeper after a good build up, before Ryder made it 3-1 to Sports, despite the RBL offside appeals.

As Sports began to push forward, Ironmonger’s cross managed to bypass three sports players before going out for a corner.

But RBL pulled another goal back after Ironmonger was penalised, and despite a clear push in the box the goal stood, 3-2.

Paterson then held the ball well to set up a Ryder break, but his cross was deflected out of Brown’s reach.

Into the final 10 minutes RBL pushed for the equaliser, with the officials decisions all going their way, similar to the game a couple of weeks ago.

Jayden Cozens then beat a defender on the left, with his cross  hitting the post. Unfortunately there was no one to collect the rebound.

There was one more attack for Sports with Brown given offside, but the whistle went to secure the 3-2 victory, after a strong performance and revenge for the reverse result in the last ill-tempered encounter.

Share & Spread The Word