Sports March On With 5-0 Win!

by Peter Scherer

Mickleover bounced back from two draws in the league, with a resounding win over Northern Premier League promotion hopefuls Worksop Town.

Starting line-up: 1-Oliver Bosworth 2-Jake Bennett 3-Ryan Wilson 4-Joe Bateman 5-Fin Delap 6-Ethan Mann 7-Andy Dales 8-Ben Sault 9-Marcus Barnes 10-Callum Chettle 11-Oliver Greaves. Subs: Sam Tomlinson, Fin Ryder, Will Atkinson, Stuart Beavon, Dan Bradley, Brandon Ferron.

Worksop made a pacey start to the game and after just three minutes Bosworth was called into action in the Mickleover goal to cut out a cross from Hall.

Hall managed to get the first shot in five minutes later, as he cut inside he left fly with a right volley. But it was high and wide.

Redford got another shot in for our hosts a minute later, it bounced off the bar onto the goal line and was eventually cleared.

Although Worksop were keen and eager to mount their attacks, Sports patience began to show. Barnes was almost through after 10 minutes, but lost out in a one on one with keeper Cooper.

But after another Mickleover attack was repelled, the home defence made a swift break, although Rollins got on the end of it, his shot was wide.

It was 18 minutes in when the deadlock was broken, after Wilson placed a perfect cross to find Greaves’ head. Cooper almost kept it out, but it was 1-0.

Four minutes later Barnes had broken clear after collecting a low cross, but Broadhead managed to intercept and clear the danger.

The pressure was on for a second goal, and Cooper had to make a diving save from Chettle, then another save from Greaves after the following corner.

Worksop still had their breaks too and Wilde put in a great cross after 26 minutes, but Daniel failed to maximise his opportunity. It was end to end as Dales then had a shot a minute later, held by Cooper.

Greaves had another chance after 35 minutes. He picked a ball inside from Bennett, but slightly miscued his shot and sent it wide.

Wilde then had shot over, Hall put a free kick just wide and Delap cleared a cross from Hutchinson, as time was running out for Worksop to bag a first half equaliser and it remained 1-0 at the whistle.

Three minutes into the second half and there was another chance for Worksop, when Hutchinson picked up a clearance, but once again he failed to hit the target.

Sports made there first change when Atkinson came on for Chettle after 52 minutes, but it was Greaves having a crack on goal again, seeing his shot blocked by Broadhead.

As Mickleover began to dominate, Delap found Barnes after a corner, but his shot hit the side netting, before Rollins broke again for Worksop but shot wide.

On the hour mark Dales made it 2-0 after firing through a crowded box, but two minutes later Daniel missed a great chance for our hosts at close range.

Just after Ryder had come on for Sault, Barnes beat a defender on the right, cut inside and let fly from a tight angle to beat Cooper and it was 3-0 after 64 minutes.

Sports hadn’t done yet and after 80 minutes teenaged striker Tomlinson came on for Barnes.

The Sports back four had again looked solid, heading for another clean sheet. Bosworth made sure of that with an 82nd minute save after Hall had jinked into the area.

But just to make sure Dales made it 4-0 after 84 minutes and with one minute left Greaves got his second too, to make it 5-0 after a quick counter attack.

So it’s into the hat for FA Trophy Round Two, so watch this space!

Share & Spread The Word