Weakened Reserves Lose Out In Second Half

by Peter Scherer

Despite a fairly strong start, Mickleover Reserves went down 0-3 to Derby Singh Brothers last night, having seen out the game with 10 men.

Starting line-up: 1-Seth Bass 2-Mason Hoult 3-Brandon Ferron 4-Toby Smith 5-Jared Cholerton 6-Zak Sandhu 7-Sam Tomlinson 8-Harry Atwal 9-Fin Ryder 10-Josh Powell 11-Mason Tudgay. Subs: Dean Ironmonger.

Mickleover could have taken an early lead, when after two minutes Tomlinson sent Powell down the right, before Ryder latched onto the cross and hit the post.

But as the ball was cleared, a Singh Brothers striker picked up a quick break, but his shot was saved by debutant keeper Bass’s feet.

Only three minutes later the hosts fired in another shot, well saved by Bass, before the rebound effort sailed high over the bar.

For a while it was end to end, as Tudgay cut in from the left after seven minutes, shooting just wide. Powell then picked up a poor clearance from the home defence, but his shot went wide after being deflected for a corner.

But Singh’s had a shot cleared off the line 10 minutes in, earning them a corner which came to nought. Atwal then tried a distance shot, which was saved, before Cholerton cut off another break by the home side.

Both Cholerton and Sandhu were in control at the back for Mickleover, as Hoult attacked down the right, and both Powell and Tudgay worked hard attacking from midfield, with Smith and Atwal supporting well.

Smith went into attack mode after 37 minutes, but his final effort was just over and then another Hoult run down the right three minutes later, saw him ride a couple of tackles, before finding Tomlinson in the middle, but the shot was just over again.

Half time was beckoning and it was still level pegging, but with a minute left Tomlinson set up Smith on the right, the keeper fumbled the following shot and Ryder moved in for the loose ball, only to be thwarted by the recovering keeper.

Then with the whistle poised Singh Bros made a break, caught the defence napping and fired the ball into the far corner, well out of Bass’s reach, 0-1.

Three minutes into the second half Ryder had a shot tipped around the post, before Tomlinson broke but fired over 55 minutes in. 

There could have been another break for Ryder just past the hour mark, but he was hauled by a defender as he crossed the half-way line.

But Tudgay was limping and had to be replaced by Ironmonger after 65 minutes.

Sports were still pushing forward and a great run by Hoult again on the right, sent in a telling cross, but just too close to the keeper, who collected with ease.

Tomlinson led another surge after 72 minutes, he managed to shoot just past the left-hand post, but went down injured, clutching his hamstring.

For the rest of the game we were down to 10 men, with no other subs on the bench. The strong defence suddenly looked vulnerable and the pace from midfield was floundering too.

74 minutes and Singh Bros hit their second from outside the box, 0-2. Bass was suddenly busier too and had to make a couple of saves.

Smith continued to work hard and his right wing cross, just missed connecting with Ryder. Atwal then had a 78th minute free kick tipped away by the keeper.

After an 80th minute header the hosts had another header just wide, before scoring number three four minutes later. Smith then had a 90th minute half chance, but a bobble just as he was about to hit a first-time effort ended any hope of a consolation goal.

The Mickleover youngsters looked jaded in the second half and the lack of a second sub sealed the 0-3 defeat, but the score itself probably flattered our hosts. 


Share & Spread The Word