Five Goal Strike Makes It Seven Up

by Peter Scherer

Another second half goal blitz made it seven league wins in a row, as Mickleover sunk Leiston 5-0, one of last seasons play off losers.

Starting line-up: 1-Oliver Bosworth 2-Jake Bennett 3-Ryan Wilson 4-Will Atkinson 5-Fin Delap 6-Ethan Mann 7-Andy Dales 8-Ben Sault 9-Stuart Beavon 10-Marcus Barnes 11-Oli Greaves. Subs: George Nunn, Jim Pollard, Dan Bradley, Andre Wright, Joe Bateman,

After a fairly even opening 15 minutes, Mickleover began to take charge. Leading scorer Barnes added to his tally 22 minutes in, with a close-range shot, following a slight deflection 1-0.

As Sports continued to push forward there were penalty appeals waved away after 37 minutes, when Dales appeared to have been tripped in the area. Only two minutes later Barnes burst through again, but as he cut inside his final shot was just over the bar, taking us to half time with a one goal lead.

Leiston had a penalty appeal waved away early into the second half, but with Bosworth not seriously tested and the ever solid back four of Bennett, Delap, Mann and Wilson, helping the push forward, the attacks gained momentum again.

After 56 minutes a long ball out of defence found Greaves, who spotted keeper Donkin off his line, and lobbed home number two from the edge of the box, 2-0.

We only had to wait four minutes for goal number three, when Barnes outpaced the visiting defence, took the ball around the back and slotted home past the advancing Donkin, 3-0 on the hour.

The combination of Bennett and Wilson on the overlaps, with Atkinson controlling central midfield, to set up Greaves, Dales and Sault, Mickleover were totally dominant.

After 75 minutes Dales cut inside from the charge down the wing, gave a deft flick to Atkinson in support, who ably cracked home number four in the left-hand corner, 4-0.

With the game secured, Bateman, Wright and Nunn came on for Dales, Beavon and Barnes, but four minutes later we had number five. Greaves had attacked down the right, then layed the ball back to Bennett, who placed a powerful strike into the bottom right-hand corner. 5-0.

It was another magnificent team effort that consolidates Sports lead at the top of the table, as we now go to AFC Telford on Tuesday evening, before next weeks home Cup Tie against Spalding Utd.

Share & Spread The Word