League: The FA Trophy

Stowmarket Town vs Mickleover F.C.

Mickleover win 3-0 on penalties


Mickleover F.C. vs Grantham Town



Hitchin Town vs Mickleover F.C.

by Peter Scherer

Sitting top of the NPL but a month without a game, Mickleover FC headed to Hitchin Town for last night’s FA Trophy, with high hopes of further progression in the competition.

With Paddy Webb unavailable the line-up was 1-Callum Hawkins 2-Jake Bennett 3-Alex Morris 4-Kemy Agustien 5-James Butler 6-Phil Watt 7-George Milner 8-Andrew Wright 9-Aman Verma 10-Stuart Beavon 11-Mason Warren. Subs-Joe Slinn, Bobby Battisson, Josh Satchwell, Pablo Mills, Ben Gowing. 

Mickleover started brightly and won a corner in the opening minute, before an Agustien cross found Beavon in the box five minutes later.

Agustien and Wright then worked together, which ended with the ball crossing the face of the Hitchin goal with no one to connect.

Although Hitchin won an 11th minute corner, it was still Mickleover on top and when Verma was fouled in the centre circle, Warren almost found his way through the hosts defence.

Hitchin were awarded a free kick after 16 minutes, but wasn’t clear what for, but it was easily dealt with by the Mickleover defence.

Although Hitchin were starting to get into the game more, Mickleover were still on top and on the 20 minute mark Beavon’s attempt was just wide from a Verma cross.

Agustien followed up with a shot that earned another corner and seven minutes later Beavon shot just wide of the left hand post, after Wright had crossed from the left.

Just after Hitchin’s Luke Brown had a point blank shot saved by Hawkins, he was on hand to open the scoring against the run of play, in the 25th minute, after a free kick from Ben Walster on the halfway, found captain Dan Webb, whose flick was headed home by Brown 0-1.

Hitchin went close again a couple of minutes later, firing just wide, before Wright made a customary charge upfield and earned another corner for Mickleover.

Now pushing for an equaliser, Butler sent Bennett on an overlapping run and his cross earned another corner, before Wright picked up a Beavon cross on 38 minutes, only for his attempt to be blocked.

Although Mickleover had fought their way back into the game, Hitchin’s Callum Stead continued to threaten on his runs on the defence and beat Butler on his right, before his shot was saved.

As half time approached Beavon got a cross in from the left to Milner, but again his shot was blocked, but Agustien then went close with a blistering shot through a crowed goal area, well saved by Hitchin keeper Charlie Horlock.

Hawkins had to make another save from Stead and Verma’s attempt at the other end was easily taken by Horlock.

But with time added on an attempt from Layne Eadie was cleared off the line, but when Stead had the legs of Butler again on the left, Brown was in the middle to make it 0-2 with his second goal of the game.

It was a disappointing second 20 minutes for Mickleover, who lost their flow and desperately seemed to missing a target man up front.

The defence were allowing Stead and Brown to outrun them and going in two goals down had paid the consequences.

There had oddly been early signs of time wasting by the hosts, which the referee failed to pick up on, keeper Horlock being particularly guilty, re-siting free-kicks etc  on a number of occasions.

Mickleover again started the second half on the attack, with Wright crossing the face of the goal again, with no one there to receive, as both Verma and Beavon failed to connect.

Beavon then showed some of his trickery until his legs were taken beneath him, his word in the referee’s ear then earned him a yellow card in another strange decision.

With temperatures already very low the rain got heavier too, but the natural flow of the Mickleover side just wasn’t happening despite the efforts of all concerned.

Agustien had a curling free kick saved and just after the hour Morris put a cross in which Butler headed just wide.

The time wasting was worsening as Hitchin were taking an average of 40-50 seconds to take a free-kick, with no action from the referee except to reprimand Mickleover players who brought it to his attention.

Brown went close again after 68 minutes, but only had to wait another four minutes for his hattrick. Stead was again free to run at the defence, who stood off him, before Brown was able to pick his spot giving Hawkins no chance 0-3.

Milner and Wright had both run themselves into the ground but to no avail and despite brining on Gowing, Mills and Battisson for Agustien, Milner and Warren, it remained 0-3 with Mickleover going out of their second cup competition with visits to Hertfordshire.


Mickleover F.C. vs Dereham Town


by Peter Scherer

After a cautious start, four second half goals secured Mickleover’s place in the First Round draw of the FA Trophy.

Gaffer John McGrath made four changes from last Tuesdays line-up, as Isthmian League North side Dereham Town visited the Don Amott Arena.

The full starting line-up was 1-Joe Slinn 2-Jake Bennett 3-Alex Morris 4-Kemy Agustien 5-Pablo Mills 6- James Butler 7-George Milner 8-Mason Warren 9-Paddy Webb 10- Stuart Beavon 11-Aman Verma. Subs: Josh Satchwell, Ben Gowing, Andrew Wright, Phil Watt, Callum Hawkins.

The game had barely kicked off when Mickleover got off to flying start. A great through ball split the visitors defence wide open, leaving Webb with a shot just inside the box, which he buried in the bottom right hand corner, opening the scoring after three minutes 1-0.

There was almost a second for Mickleover after 12 minutes to, before the attacking stepped back a pace and Dereham began to settle.

But 20 minutes in and there was another chance, when Bennett put another dangerous ball into the box, but a Dereham defender managed to intercept before Webb was able to collect.

Webb’s pace continued to cause problems and he just missed out again in a one on one with Elliot Pride in the Dereham goal.

After a 10 minute lull in the pace, Webb was in again, shooting from inside the box, his effort was just wide of the right hand corner.

Three minutes later a Morris cross was deflected in the box, just out of Webb’s reach.

Dereham had the ball in the net just before half time, but was ruled out. Slinn had saved initially, but the ball ran into Toby Hilliard’s path in an offside position.

So half time 1-0, Mickleover had been in charge throughout, but could have more than one.

Wright was an early second half sub coming on for Agustien, before Rhys Logan had a run on goal for Dereham after 51 minutes but couldn’t finish.

Beavon was next to try his luck, with a 55th minute half volley well over. But as Mickleover stepped up another gear, Wright lofted the ball to Webb and with just the keeper to beat, the striker placed it home from close range 2-0 after 57 mins.

Wright’s runs from midfield continued to cause havoc for the Dereham defence, and his cross into the box on the hour found Beavon at the far post, who despatched it into the roof of the net 3-0!

Back from injury Gowing came on for Milner and the Mickleover push continued. Webb had a chance of a hattrick when he fired the ball over from a tightening angle, but five minutes later Pride failed to deal with a low cross, leaving the ball at Beavon’s feet for an easy tap in the 77th minute 4-0.

With Webb and Beavon both scoring two each, Beavon went off and Satchwell came on for the last nine minutes.

The teenage striker rewarded with his first senior goal on the 90 minute mark, after receiving from a corner.

It’s now back to NPL action at Nantwich on Tuesday, with one eye on the FA Trophy draw too, but all dependant on any decision over the lockdown restrictions.


Basford United vs Mickleover Sports

By Brad Cox

Mickleover’s FA Trophy campaign comes to an end after suffering a 3-0 defeat to Basford United.

Liam Hearn bagged himself a double as his side progresses into the second-round qualification stage of the FA Trophy.

The Sports’ started the match positively with high pressure but showed no end product. Basford got onto the scoresheet against the run of play in the 12th minute. Nathan Watson’s drilled cross fell beautifully for Hearn who calmly slotted home his first goal of the day past, Nathan Broome.

Despite being a goal down, The Sports’ continued to dominate in a match which they were expected to be great underdogs based on current form. The Sports’ looked the more likely to grab an equaliser after Stuart Beavon’s strike grazed the post, however, yet again Basford against the run of play doubled their lead. After some questionable defending, Basford’s left-back, Josh Law, built a mountain for The Sports’ to climb and hammered the ball past Broome from the back post. At half-time, The Sports’ will have felt unfortunate to go into the break two goals down.

Early into the second half, an injury to Ben Turner saw John McGrath (junior) join his dad (also John McGrath) on the pitch. Lee Hughes had the best opportunity of the second half to kickstart a comeback when his attempted chip shot kissed the top of the bar. A reoccurring issue presented itself in the second half when The Sports’ struggled to create anything in Basford’s half.

Basford put the game to bed in the 88th minute when Hearn got his second goal. The Sports’ are now in the worst form of their season with their best result being a 1-1 draw with Morpeth Town in the five fixtures.

The Sports’ next fixture is Matlock Town at home, they will be looking for revenge as they were beaten 3-1 just three matches ago.

Sports XI; Broome, Berry, Turner (John McGrath 48’), McGrath, Mills, Young, Warren, Scott ©(Max Watters 59’), Modest, Beavon, Boula (Lee Hughes 62’)

Basford XI; Preston, Law, Wilson, Thornhill (C), Gascoigne, Galinksi, Richards, Chettle, Hearn, Watson, Reid

Basford United 3-0 Sports
Saturday 26th October 2019
Greenwich Avenue

Attendance: 352

Next fixture: Matlock Town (H) Saturday 2nd November


Mickleover Sports vs Stratford Town

Mickleover Sports 0-1 Stratford Town
Tuesday 13th November 2018
Written by Sam Goldsworthy

“We have seen better days” as Sports exited the FA Trophy for another season in this Shakespeare Tragedy against Stratford Town. Both sides had good spells in the game and it was looking like only goal for either team would be enough to set up a tie with South Shields. Evan Garnett had Sports best chance towards the end in Sports best spell as he sent a shot from a 1v1 over the bar. That would prove to be a crucial moment as in this tale of woe as a near replica of Stratford goal in the first game caught Sports out in the 87th minute. This time it was substitute Mike Taylor at the back post to stab home and send Sports crashing out of another of this seasons cup competitions.

Corey Addai remained in goal with a back four of Reece Ford, Tom Burgin, Pablo Mills and Ben Turner. A midfield four consisted of Ricky Ravenhill, Ted Cribley, Jack Walsh and Nathan Jarman in a central attacking role. Victor Sodeinde and Evan Garnett were the two strikers. On the bench for Sports were Jimmy Phillips, Harley Kozluk, Mason Warren, Will Norcross and Kyle Clamp.

Jack Walsh and Will Grocott had half chances in the opening few minutes but the first real chance came on 11 minutes as good play between Garnett and Jarman found Sodeinde but his strike was into the side netting on the near side. Next Jarman managed to use his strength to get past a couple of Stratford defenders and square the ball centrally inside the box to Ted Cribley but his first time effort was over the bar. Sports were then forced into an early change as Jack Walsh suffered an injury meaning he had to be taken off to be replaced by Jimmy Phillips.

Stratford were also looking a threat going forward and has a couple of chances from Isaac and Skendi however one was saved and one was cleared off the line by Turner. Jarman struck a powerful effort from a free kick wide of the left hand post before Westwood for the visitors broke down the left hand side and sent in a wicked cross which was well caught by Addai in the Sports net. The final chance of the half feel to the side from Warwickshire as a header into the box was not dealt with by Tom Burgin and Wilson managed to get in front of him, turn and strike an effort which went just wide of the right hand post.

It was Sports who had the first real chance of the second half. Phillips was fouled in the middle of the pitch but play continued and Ted Cribley managed to break forward strike an effort towards goal but the effort was too central and saved by Walton. Jarman managed to do the same thing a few minutes later but it was the same outcome as the strike was into the keeper’s hands. The Stratford right back Cox then sent an effort sailing over the bar as both sides kept searching for that elusive goal. Then shortly after came Sports moment to win the tie however it was not taken and came and went as Evan Garnett was played in 1v1 after an excellent first touch but the strike was sent miles over the bar. Ted Cribley would then made way for Mason Warren for Sports next substitution.

This seemed to give the visitors the warning they needed and spurred them on as Mike Taylor the substitute had three excellent efforts with two headers and one effort with his right foot but all three were saved well by Addai. In between those efforts Jarman had a chance to strike but his chance was saved by Walton. Just as Sports left it late in the previous round against Redditch United, they were this time on the other end of a late sucker punch as Stratford won the tie in the 87th minute. Sodeinde lost track of his man and allowed Cox to cross into the box which caught out Reece Ford at the back post and Mike Taylor nipped in behind to finish low past Addai and send Sports crashing out of the FA Trophy.


Stratford Town vs Mickleover Sports

Stratford Town 1-1 Mickleover Sports
The FA Buildbase Trophy 2nd Round
Saturday 10th November 2018
Written by Kerry Goldsworthy

Mickleover travelled to Warwickshire to face Stratford Town in the FA Buildbase Trophy second round. Sports manager John McGrath put out a strong 4-4-2 formation with Correy Addai in goal. The back four consisted of Ben Turner, Pablo Mills, Tom Burgin and Jake Scott. The midfield consisted of Mason Warren, Ricky Ravenhill, Jimmy Phillips and Ted Cribley. The two front strikers consisted of Kyle Clamp and Evan Garnett. Sports bench consisted of Will Norcross, Harley Kozluk, Nathan Jarman, Jack Walsh and Victor Sodeinge.

On the 3rd minute, Stratford was awarded a free kick. Will Grocott takes the free kick and struck the woodwork on the bar. On the 7th minute, Sports were awarded a free kick. Ted Cribley took the kick and fires to Ricky Ravenhill to shoot but goes over the bar from a reflection. A corner was awarded for sports and a scrap in the box sent the ball out wide of the goal and out for a goal kick. There was excellent play from both teams throughout the first half and excellent defending. On the 17th minute, Kynan Isaac has a shot but was blocked by Tom Burgin and Stratford had a corner. Will Grocott takes the corner and was deflected out for another corner. Corner was taken and saved by the head of Tom Burgin.

On the 23rd minute, Jake Scott was brought down and sports was awarded a free kick. Ted Cribley takes the free kick and Sports shout for a penalty but the ref gives a corner. Ted Cribley takes the corner and is cleared out by Jordan Williams. On the 26th minute Stratford got on the scoreboard with an excellent diving header from Jordan Williams. 1-0 Stratford. On the 34th minute, sports had an opportunity to get on the scoreboard but is blocked by Jamie McAteer and caught by Richard Walton. A chance for Stratford came in the 38th minute as Wilson Carvalho shoots from long range but was saved in the hands of Correy Addai. Half Time Stratford 1-0 Mickleover Sports.

Mickleover Sports made a substitution at half time with Nathan Jarman replacing Ted Cribley. On the 51st minute, Kynan Isaac had another chance of goal but was saved by Correy Addai. Another change was made for Sports on the 55th minute with Jack Walsh replacing Mason Warren. Multiple changes for sports came throughout the second half by Nathan Jarman, Jimmy Phillips and Evan Garnett but Stratford goalkeeper Richard Walton saved them. On the 74th minute, sports final change was made with Will Norcross replacing Jake Scott.

Mickleover get the important goal they need and the equaliser from a free kick awarded to sports and Will Norcross heads the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal. 1-1 was the score. During the crucial final minutes, a chance for Sports came and what could have been the winner. Evan Garnett ran with the ball and passed to Ben Turner but the ball went out wide of the left hand post. Full Time Stratford Town 1-1 Mickleover Sports.


Mickleover Sports vs Redditch United

Mickleover Sports 1-0 Redditch United
Saturday 27th October 2018
Written by Sam Goldsworthy

It was Evan Garnett at the death as Mickleover Sports progressed into the 2nd Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy with a 1-0 win over Southern Premier League side Redditch United at the Don Amott Arena. After a pretty uneventful first half baring couple of early substitutions for Sports, Garnett and Jarman had chances in the second half to win the tie before they did. It looked as though the tie was heading to a replay as the game went into injury time but in the dying seconds of the game Jarman’s effort was stabbed in at close range by Garnett to spark wild celebrations and book Sports place in the next round.

There was a debut in the Sports goal for Corey Addai on a month’s loan from Coventry City. The back four was Kevin Grocott, Reece Ford, Pablo Mills and Ben Turner. John McGrath and Ricky Ravenhill started in midfield with Jimmy Phillips and young Jack Walsh on the wings. Mason Warren was played in an attacking midfield role with Evan Garnett the main striker. On the bench were Harley Kozluk, Jake Smith, Tom Burgin and Nathan Jarman.

Both sides traded early blows as Nelson and Warren had efforts to score go wide, before the first injury came round for Sports as Kevin Grocott had to make way for Harley Kozluk to step in at right back. Reynolds then had a shot for the visitors saved by Addai soon after but then Sports had to make their next substitution. Another Coventry City loan player Reece Ford had a slight niggle that couldn’t be risked so was taken off for striker Nathan Jarman. Mason Warren went into the left back position with Ben Turner slotting in at center back.

Garnett had his first chance of the game with a strike wide that Jarman couldn’t get a toe to. Ahmed for United then had a header cleared off the line by Mason Warren for a corner kick. Two penalty shouts then followed for the away side as a shirt pull from Ravenhill and an elbow from McGrath were unseen by the referee inside the box. It was Redditch who had the final two chances of the first half as Leachman guided an effort into the side netting before Nelson had a strike saved by Addai to keep his clean sheet intact.
The second half started with two early chances for the visitors both of which were saved and the other cleared off the line by the Sports defense. Sports then had a penalty shout as Ravenhill went down inside the six yard box but was again not given by the officials. Nathan Jarman then had two efforts one saved by Reece Francis the other was put wide of the left hand post. Nelson for Redditch was causing a real threat and his quick fire effort went just wide of the right hand post next.

Sports then should have been 1-0 up as Garnett missed a sitter from a yard out but it was scuffed and out for a goal kick. Sports were well on top and had many chances to score all the way through the final periods of the game. But Redditch still remained a threat and could have scored but Ali’s free header was wide from a corner kick. Sports made on final chance as Jimmy Phillips came off to be replaced by young academy player Jake Smith. It looked as though the tie was going to a replay but in the dying seconds Sports pressed and found the break though. Redditch failed to clear a ball into the box and it fell to Jarman who had the initial shot towards goal but Garnett was there to make sure as he stabbed the ball home from close range to spark relief around the ground for the home fans and despair for the away fans. That was nearly the last kick of the game as the referee blew for full time straight from the restart. A battling performance that came good in the end and one that Sports can take real confidence from and hopefully take it into the league. With Buxton drawing their game Sports now have another free week with Workington AFC up next in the league on Saturday 3rd November, 3pm Kick Off.